Is Hell Biblical?

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. KJV

I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades . NIV

I am the living one. I died, but look–I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.  NLT

I am he who lived and died, and behold, I am alive to the eternity of eternities, amen, and I have the key of Death and of Sheol. Aramaic English Bible

While comparing these 4 English translations we notice the words hell, Hades, Sheol, and death are all used interchangeably. However, the word “hell” has an entirely different meaning.

Sheol- (Hebrew) mean grave, realm of the dead

Hades– (Greek) same as Sheol, means grave, realm of the dead . Hades is actually a Greek God of the underworld, which is where the word derived from Greek Mythology

Hell- derived from Old English helle from pagan period. Usually depicted as a place of eternal torment with fire

And you shall not be afraid of those who kill the body that are not able to kill the soul; rather be afraid of him who can destroy soul and body in Gehenna.” Aramaic English Bible Matthew 10:28

In some English Bibles the world “Hell” is often translated for the word “Gehenna” So what is Gehenna?

In short Gehenna was a place where pagens sacrificed their children to pagen gods. When this practices stopped obviously this place was cursed so it became a large garbage dump that was continually on fire . Also when dead bodies were found that weren’t claimed by a family, they were thrown into Gehenna to be destroyed.

So in English Bibles when you see Jesus referencing “Hell” such as Matthew 10:28, the correct usage is he is referencing “Gehenna” because all Jews were familiar with this place.  It’s a place that represented eternal death and destruction not eternal torment.

So where did the concept of “Hell”, the eternal torture concept come from? In short in came from the influence of Greek mythology. Remember Rome was a pagan empire. When it took Christianity it infused many of its pagen ideas and practices into it. For example, Christmas and Easter, were originally pagan Holidays that were converted to a Christian holidays.

Some things to consider:

• The concept of Hell is nowhere found in the Old Testament
  • The New Testament doesn’t teach about an eternal torture
  • Since Jesus died for our sins, wouldn’t he be thrown in Hell?
  • If God is love, would he really torture people for eternity?
  • Since Adam and Eve caused mankind to sin, why didn’t they get thrown in hell?

Remember perfect love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18) when you truly understand the salvation of Christ, you truly understand the love and mercy of our Father in Jesus Name Amen

Advertisements

59 thoughts on “Is Hell Biblical?

1. www.dontlabelmykid.wordpress.com

Pardon me if I miss something. But I believe Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life and no man shall see the father except through me. And scripture also says that blaspheme against the Holy Spirit or rejection of Christ is an unforgivable sin. How do you come up with everybody will not see how no matter what

Liked by 1 person

1. www.dontlabelmykid.wordpress.com

I think if I’m right you’re saying that because the words used are not actually translated into hell or an eternal torment. However Eternal separation from God is clearly mentioned and if like to call it hell or something different that’s irrelevant that’s somantics.
        Why would Jesus have died on the cross for anybody who to quote Scripture says” confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord will be saved.” Do you have another argument for what saved means

Liked by 3 people

2. Marques Jeffries

If you are saying that Hell is not a place of torment, what are your thoughts regarding the torment Jesus explained that the rich man experienced?

Luke 16:22:24; 28 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
    23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. I am tormented in this flame.

Liked by 4 people

1. @unashamedojesus Post author

Good question…Greek mythology even started influencing Judaism. Some Jews were starting to believe in a “Hell” so Jesus used a parable that was actually an already known story to illustrate that greed and sin will separate you eternally from God. If you research the parable you will find references of this..God bless

3. www.dontlabelmykid.wordpress.com

All over the New Testament are the descriptions and illustrations of people that are refusing to believe or a bay and Trust in Christ for the Salvation. What is salvation? Why do we need salvation which to my understanding is the Forgiveness of sins by the blood of Jesus if there is no penalty for not being covered by the blood and everything Jesus and all the disciples and all the following said in the New Testament about judgement is not true. While I’m on that topic what does judgment really mean? I guess it doesn’t mean what do Lord and all the disciples and everybody else said people will be judged according to their deeds if they’re not covered by the blood of Jesus so they’re going to stand before God and says I’m sorry you must just die and be buried since you did not trust in me?

Liked by 1 person

1. sailordale

NO, all through the Bible Everlasting Torment means Everlasting Torment!
        You are skewed off on some bad, unbiblical doctrines! I strongly urge you to read & study the WHOLE Bible, in context!

Liked by 2 people

2. sailordale

You tell me where God says that the lost will be destroyed? You think that’s in the Bible, or are you just taking some word meanings out of context, because you don’t want an eternal hell to be true??? That IS a new age, cultic doctrine!

Liked by 1 person

3. sailordale

I am not being hostile to you, sorry if I come off like that, OK? Please forgive me for that.
        I AM very much against the false doctrine you are teaching. I am a “Hell-o-phobic”

4. g.w

Universalism and soul extinction is just bad theology and serves to weaken the power and truth of the gospel. And for that reason both are considered apostasy. Apostasy is very in vogue in churches overly concerned with appeasing the growing atheism of a dying culture such as post-Christian, post-America. On a similar note, the concept of free-will has it;s roots in Greek philosophy under Plato circa 6th century BC. The concept was adopted from the Greek philosopher by Christian church fathers in the second century AD. I don’t think because it came from the earlier Greeks, originally, is reason to dismiss it from Christian thought and theology.

Liked by 2 people

5. authorstephanieparkermckean

Jesus did go to hell. He spent three days there, then wrested the keys to death and hell from satan and took authority over them. As for hell, it is mentioned in the New Testament (mostly by Jesus) in Matthew 5:22, Matthew 18:9, Matthew 23:33, Luke 12:5, and James 3:6. Hell is separation from God. As for eternal suffering, you brought up some good points. However, I remember the story about the rich man and the beggar. The rich man was in torment. I had a “father” who raped me continuously, got me pregnant twice, and formed abortions in the woods using knitting needles with me laying on tree mold and yuck. Both times I nearly bled to death, and it’s only by a miracle of God that I was ever able to have a child. My father was an atheist. He had Christian books removed from school libraries. He was one of the first 51 people in the U.S. to die of a new disease they didn’t even have named yet…AIDS. I would not want to live in Heaven with monsters like that running around. Sorry, didn’t mean to get carried away. I love your posts.

Liked by 2 people

1. @unashamedojesus Post author

Sorry to hear sister, I think you are misunderstanding me. I didn’t say everyone will live in Heaven, everyone who rejects Christ will be eternally destroyed. You will see Paradise sister God bless you!

Liked by 1 person

6. sailordale

Matthew 18:8 “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Matthew 25:46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Luke 16:9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

These quotes are from http://www.Biblegateway.com And EVERLASTING means EVERLASTING!
    To Everlasting Life OR Everlasting Punishment!!!!

Liked by 1 person

1. @unashamedojesus Post author

Your right everlasting means everlasting.. Everlasting punishment equals death which is permanent.. Gehenna had everlasting fire which never went out.. Jesus does not teach everlasting torture

7. sailordale

One last one, now it is your turn to explain your flat out UN-Biblical doctrine…..
    NEVER does the Bible anywhere say that the lost will be burned up & poof, gone!
    EVERLASTING means EVERLASTING!!!!

2 Thessalonians 1:9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

Liked by 1 person

8. Following Him

I usually don’t comment, however, I want you to have at least one person commenting who actually agrees with you. “Everlasting torture” just doesn’t makes sense to me – why would a loving Father want that? Your reasoning of “perish” I understand. How can evil and pain still exist at that point? I wouldn’t want to be in Heaven while knowing that people are being tormented forever…

Also, I think that the Psalms support the wicked “perishing”:

Psalm 37:20: “But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.” …the wicked shall perish….

Psalm 68:2: “As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.” …so let the wicked perish…

It doesn’t say “let the wicked be tormented forever.” It says “perish.”

Great post. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. @unashamedojesus Post author

Amen brother.. The problem is Jesus original teachings he used the word Gehenna not Hell. Brings a totally different perspective to his teachings. Your right, I don’t want to be in a Kingdom when people below me are being tortured. Jesus taught to Love our Enemies and forgive

Liked by 1 person

1. Following Him

You’re right, it does bring a completely different perspective to His teachings. I’m slowly reading through the Gospels now, so I will definitely keep this in mind as I read. 🙂

Yes, exactly! 😊 ♥

P.S.: Sister. 😉 My name is Grace.

Liked by 1 person

9. sailordale

Have you realized the error of your doctrine yet? You will, one day, but then it may be too late for you!

And you said that >>>> “You’re right, I don’t want to be in a Kingdom when people below me are being tortured.” <<<<<
    Don't worry, if you make it to Heaven, there will be no remembrance of sin or any person or relative that didn't make it to Heaven!
    That's in the Bible, did you overlook it, just like the rest of the Bible that proves you wrong???

If someone dies and then gets burned up and no longer exists, that is NOT the Eternal Torment that Jesus spoke of!!!

Liked by 1 person